Thursday 5 February 2015

We Are Silent - Wednesday 4th February, 2015

#WeAreSilent

 “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” Malala Yousafzai



Our Year 6 pupils were very lucky to have a visit from Vera Shaufeld - aged 85 in Decmber 2014. Born in Czechoslovakia, Vera had to be sent away under the Kindertransport scheme before the beginning of WW2. As a consequence of her parents' bravery she is alive today to tell us about the events that led up to the start of war in 1939 and the impact it had on her life. Her story was humbling, inspiring and worryingly current with all the troubles in Syria and around the world where children's lives are being torn apart.

Today, some year 6 pupils decided to use their vow of silence to remember those children who were taken from their families during WW2. The time spent silent was used to think about the story we heard from Vera and reflect on our thoughts and feelings. 

"Vera's story touched me. To think she had to leave her family and never see them again broke my heart. It reminds me of how lucky I am to have a loving family because others are not as fortunate as myself."
Kulsoom Hasnain

"I felt very sorry for Vera because her parents were killed, all she has to remember them by is a ring. I try to imagine how it felt during the war and how she felt when her father was taken away from her and her family. It was an amazing experience to be able to listen to such an emotional story. 
Elisa Rina 

"When I heard that Vera's parents had died during WW2, It made me feel really sad. I can't imagine how it feels to leave your Mum and Dad and never get to see them again."
Ella Floyd

"My heart went out to Vera when she spoke about when she heard her parents were dead."
Sophie Prior

"I had mixed emotions. I was upset because Vera lost all of her family during the war. I was also happy to hear how Vera escaped a dangerous situation and found safety in this country."
Chloe-Louise Wager 

"When I first heard Vera's story I had tears in my eyes for what she had been through in her life. The history of how her family were treated is devastating."
Terrika Wright

"I felt heartbroken when I found out she had to leave her family and life behind. I learnt that whoever you are stay true to yourself, just like Vera did. I was relieved to hear that a little girl so young survived such tragic things."
Sophie Hann

"Hearing Vera's story made me angry that Hitler came to hurt and kill innocent people because of his own beliefs. Vera has inspired me to be confident and brave in any situation."
Tolu Erinle

Tuesday 27th January 2015 was Holocaust Memorial day.  It is a national commemoration day in the United Kingdom dedicated to the remembrance of those who suffered in The Holocaust, under Nazi Persecution. The chosen date is the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp by the Soviet Union in 1945. The theme for Holocaust Memorial Day 2015 is 'Keep the memory alive'. We hope our silence brings about awareness and helps to keep Vera's story alive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment