Monday 25 March 2013

Mayor's Visit - More Facts

Madam Mayor was first elected 2007 in a by election. Then she was elected again in 2010 when the local elections were held. After four years in office, she was first asked to be Mayor two years ago. However you have to serve as Deputy Mayor first. Madam Mayor is particularly proud of the fact that she started as Mayor in Jubilee year. Her term of office will end on  22nd May this year.

The children were very anxious to know what duties the Mayor has to perform. Madam Mayor told them that she has to lead the Full Council meeting - which happens  six times per year.

Q. Had you always dreamed of being the mayor? Beth King
No, I hadn't always dreamt of it. To start with I had done a lot of work in Westminster and with charities. Although my father was the Mayor of Romford and my Grandfather as well, I didn't think I would be lucky enough to get this honour.

Q. What is your favourite bit of being Mayor? Sophie Lewis
I love meeting people, especially the children. It is great to get young people involved in coming to see the Town Hall. It is so important that the young people in the Borough understand how they can play a role in our local democracy.

Q. What school did you use to go to? Ruby Burchell
The name of my school has changed now. First I went to St Mary's Convent and then I was at Romford County High - which is now known as Frances Bardsley

Q. How long can you be Mayor for? Teddy Pilcher
You can only be the Mayor for a year and then someone else has to have a turn. However you aren't on your own. There are 33 London Boroughs - each with its own Mayor. Havering is one of the biggest Boroughs. We have nearly 250,000 people living in Havering and 40 square miles of land. Because of the size of the Borough, I am very busy. In one year I have around 600 events... sometimes 5 in one day! After a year you can get rather tired.

Q. Is the necklace heavy? Jamari Cousins
Amazingly it's not too bad. The Silver chain - which is worn by the Deputy Mayor - is heavier.

Q. How did we get the name Havering? Sharna Dodge
Well, we became a London Borough in 1965. The name Havering as it goes back a 1,000 years. In 1965 it was decided that the people in the area would not have wanted it named after one of the three main towns - Romford, Hornchurch & Upminster. A neutral name was chosen. Havering was connected to the oldest part of the Borough.. Havering Atte Bower. You can see this because on the badge is the hunting lodge at Havering Atte Bower. The blue and white signifies the colours of St Andrews church in Hornchurch

Q. Would you be Mayor again? Jessica
I have enjoyed it but the job needs a big commitment of time from families and loved ones. I - like all the other Mayors - have had to give up a year of my life. I don't think I could ask my family to do it again.






No comments:

Post a Comment