Tuesday 17 November 2015

Shakespeare Schools Festival

Did you know that the Shakespeare Schools Festival is the UK's largest youth drama festival. It works with over 1,000 schools and 150 professional theatres.

The festival provides all the tools, support and guidance necessary to enable our school to take pupils on a wonderful journey:  rehearsing their own Shakespeare production and performing in front of a paying audience.

We were very proud of how confidently the children portrayed their characters on the stage. It was a packed audience and a very adult setting to perform in. However the children rose to the occasion and really bought their characters to life! It was also great to see them hold their own as all the other schools taking part were Secondary schools.
Mrs Nicholls

Our pupils performed The Tempest. Over the eight weeks of the rehearsal the children had plenty of time to explore the characters and themes of the play in depth.

I was Prospero. At the start of the play I am abandoned by my friends on a desert island and left for dead with nothing but my books and my daughter. By the end of the play I have the chance to get my revenge, but instead I choose to forgive them. Prospero must have been a good man to not use his power to hurt the others.
Saffron

It was quite daunting to perform against the Secondary children. They seemed so much bigger than us. Luckily the practice with Mrs Nicholls paid off and we knew what to do.
Matthew

Click here for a summary of the story






No comments:

Post a Comment